Vietnamese crab exporter

7 killed, 14 injured in Chamoli tunnel collapse, rescuers launch underwater ops

Seven workers were killed and 14 injured after debris and water flooded an under-construction THDC hydropower tunnel in Uttarakhand's Chamoli. Three workers remain trapped, with SDRF, NDRF and other agencies continuing rescue operations.

advertisement
Chamoli Tunnel Collapse
Three workers remains trapped, with SDRF, NDRF and other agencies continuing rescue operations. (Credits: Kamal Nayan Silodi)

Seven workers have died and 14 others were injured after debris and water entered an under-construction hydro tunnel at the THDC project in Mayapur (Pipalkoti) in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district on Thursday evening. Three workers remain trapped inside the tunnel, while 21 of the 22 workers who were inside have been accounted for.

The incident occurred around 6.45 pm when a large volume of debris and water suddenly entered the tunnel being constructed by Hindustan Construction Company (HCC). Workers from the shift on duty were trapped inside following the sudden surge.

Rescue operations were launched soon after the accident, with teams from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Army, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), local police and other agencies deployed at the site. Machinery has also been mobilised to clear debris and drain water from the tunnel.

advertisement

The injured workers were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. Officials said workers with serious injuries would be shifted to higher medical centres, while others were being treated in Gopeshwar. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami also reached Pipalkoti on Friday despite extremely bad weather to review the rescue operation.

TOP 5 DEVELOPMENTS

  • Three workers remain trapped as rescue operation continues

    Rescue teams are continuing efforts to reach the three workers still trapped inside the tunnel. Personnel are using machinery to remove the accumulated debris and drain water from the affected section.

    SDRF teams are also using improvised drum boats to navigate through the water and debris while trying to reach the stranded workers.

    advertisement

    Uttarakhand Disaster Management Minister Madan Kaushik said 22 workers had been trapped inside the tunnel. Of them, 12 were injured, one had been discharged, seven bodies had been recovered and three workers remained missing.

  • CM Pushkar Singh Dhami reaches Pipalkoti to review rescue efforts

    Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami reached Pipalkoti on Friday to take stock of the rescue operation at the tunnel accident site.

    The adverse weather made helicopter landing extremely difficult. After reaching Pipalkoti, Dhami was scheduled to inspect the rescue operation and receive updates from the administration, police, SDRF, NDRF and other agencies.

    Dhami also met injured workers who had been rescued and enquired about their health.

    "The safe evacuation of every worker trapped inside the tunnel is the government's top priority, and all agencies are working on a war footing to ensure this," Dhami said.

  • advertisement

    Army, ITBP, NDRF and SDRF deployed at accident site

    Given the seriousness of the accident, multiple agencies were mobilised for the rescue operation. Teams from the Army, ITBP, NDRF and SDRF were rushed to the site along with local administration and rescue machinery.

    Personnel from the District Incident Response Force (DIRF), local police and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) are also involved in the ongoing operation.

    Chamoli District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar said all available machinery and personnel had been mobilised to evacuate the workers.

  • 16 workers rescued in initial hours

    Chamoli District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar had earlier said that 16 workers were rescued safely by around 9 pm on Thursday.

    "This is a tunnel under construction for a hydropower project belonging to THDC. Around 6:30 or 6:45 pm, a large volume of debris and water surged into the tunnel. Workers from the shift on duty got trapped inside," Kumar said.

    He added that NDRF and SDRF teams, along with available machinery, were working to rescue the remaining workers and expressed hope that everyone would be evacuated within a few hours.

  • advertisement

    Debris and water suddenly enter THDC tunnel, killing seven

    The accident took place at around 6.45 pm on Thursday when a large volume of debris and water suddenly entered the under-construction hydro tunnel at the THDC project in Mayapur (Pipalkoti), Chamoli.

    Workers present inside the tunnel during the shift were trapped following the sudden inflow. Seven workers have since died, while 14 others were injured and taken to nearby hospitals.

    Authorities are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the incident. Rescue operations remain underway as teams continue efforts to safely evacuate the three workers still trapped inside.

- Ends
Published By:
Prateek Chakraborty
Published On:
Aug 13, 2026 20:10 IST

Seven workers have died and 14 others were injured after debris and water entered an under-construction hydro tunnel at the THDC project in Mayapur (Pipalkoti) in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district on Thursday evening. Three workers remain trapped inside the tunnel, while 21 of the 22 workers who were inside have been accounted for.

The incident occurred around 6.45 pm when a large volume of debris and water suddenly entered the tunnel being constructed by Hindustan Construction Company (HCC). Workers from the shift on duty were trapped inside following the sudden surge.

Rescue operations were launched soon after the accident, with teams from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Army, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), local police and other agencies deployed at the site. Machinery has also been mobilised to clear debris and drain water from the tunnel.

The injured workers were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. Officials said workers with serious injuries would be shifted to higher medical centres, while others were being treated in Gopeshwar. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami also reached Pipalkoti on Friday despite extremely bad weather to review the rescue operation.

TOP 5 DEVELOPMENTS

  • Three workers remain trapped as rescue operation continues

    Rescue teams are continuing efforts to reach the three workers still trapped inside the tunnel. Personnel are using machinery to remove the accumulated debris and drain water from the affected section.

    SDRF teams are also using improvised drum boats to navigate through the water and debris while trying to reach the stranded workers.

    Uttarakhand Disaster Management Minister Madan Kaushik said 22 workers had been trapped inside the tunnel. Of them, 12 were injured, one had been discharged, seven bodies had been recovered and three workers remained missing.

  • CM Pushkar Singh Dhami reaches Pipalkoti to review rescue efforts

    Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami reached Pipalkoti on Friday to take stock of the rescue operation at the tunnel accident site.

    The adverse weather made helicopter landing extremely difficult. After reaching Pipalkoti, Dhami was scheduled to inspect the rescue operation and receive updates from the administration, police, SDRF, NDRF and other agencies.

    Dhami also met injured workers who had been rescued and enquired about their health.

    "The safe evacuation of every worker trapped inside the tunnel is the government's top priority, and all agencies are working on a war footing to ensure this," Dhami said.

  • Army, ITBP, NDRF and SDRF deployed at accident site

    Given the seriousness of the accident, multiple agencies were mobilised for the rescue operation. Teams from the Army, ITBP, NDRF and SDRF were rushed to the site along with local administration and rescue machinery.

    Personnel from the District Incident Response Force (DIRF), local police and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) are also involved in the ongoing operation.

    Chamoli District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar said all available machinery and personnel had been mobilised to evacuate the workers.

  • 16 workers rescued in initial hours

    Chamoli District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar had earlier said that 16 workers were rescued safely by around 9 pm on Thursday.

    "This is a tunnel under construction for a hydropower project belonging to THDC. Around 6:30 or 6:45 pm, a large volume of debris and water surged into the tunnel. Workers from the shift on duty got trapped inside," Kumar said.

    He added that NDRF and SDRF teams, along with available machinery, were working to rescue the remaining workers and expressed hope that everyone would be evacuated within a few hours.

  • Debris and water suddenly enter THDC tunnel, killing seven

    The accident took place at around 6.45 pm on Thursday when a large volume of debris and water suddenly entered the under-construction hydro tunnel at the THDC project in Mayapur (Pipalkoti), Chamoli.

    Workers present inside the tunnel during the shift were trapped following the sudden inflow. Seven workers have since died, while 14 others were injured and taken to nearby hospitals.

    Authorities are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the incident. Rescue operations remain underway as teams continue efforts to safely evacuate the three workers still trapped inside.

- Ends
Published By:
Prateek Chakraborty
Published On:
Aug 13, 2026 20:10 IST

Seven workers have died and 14 others were injured after debris and water entered an under-construction hydro tunnel at the THDC project in Mayapur (Pipalkoti) in Uttarakhand's Chamoli district on Thursday evening. Three workers remain trapped inside the tunnel, while 21 of the 22 workers who were inside have been accounted for.

The incident occurred around 6.45 pm when a large volume of debris and water suddenly entered the tunnel being constructed by Hindustan Construction Company (HCC). Workers from the shift on duty were trapped inside following the sudden surge.

Rescue operations were launched soon after the accident, with teams from the State Disaster Response Force (SDRF), National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), Army, Indo-Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), local police and other agencies deployed at the site. Machinery has also been mobilised to clear debris and drain water from the tunnel.

The injured workers were taken to nearby hospitals for treatment. Officials said workers with serious injuries would be shifted to higher medical centres, while others were being treated in Gopeshwar. Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami also reached Pipalkoti on Friday despite extremely bad weather to review the rescue operation.

TOP 5 DEVELOPMENTS

  • Three workers remain trapped as rescue operation continues

    Rescue teams are continuing efforts to reach the three workers still trapped inside the tunnel. Personnel are using machinery to remove the accumulated debris and drain water from the affected section.

    SDRF teams are also using improvised drum boats to navigate through the water and debris while trying to reach the stranded workers.

    Uttarakhand Disaster Management Minister Madan Kaushik said 22 workers had been trapped inside the tunnel. Of them, 12 were injured, one had been discharged, seven bodies had been recovered and three workers remained missing.

  • CM Pushkar Singh Dhami reaches Pipalkoti to review rescue efforts

    Uttarakhand Chief Minister Pushkar Singh Dhami reached Pipalkoti on Friday to take stock of the rescue operation at the tunnel accident site.

    The adverse weather made helicopter landing extremely difficult. After reaching Pipalkoti, Dhami was scheduled to inspect the rescue operation and receive updates from the administration, police, SDRF, NDRF and other agencies.

    Dhami also met injured workers who had been rescued and enquired about their health.

    "The safe evacuation of every worker trapped inside the tunnel is the government's top priority, and all agencies are working on a war footing to ensure this," Dhami said.

  • Army, ITBP, NDRF and SDRF deployed at accident site

    Given the seriousness of the accident, multiple agencies were mobilised for the rescue operation. Teams from the Army, ITBP, NDRF and SDRF were rushed to the site along with local administration and rescue machinery.

    Personnel from the District Incident Response Force (DIRF), local police and Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) are also involved in the ongoing operation.

    Chamoli District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar said all available machinery and personnel had been mobilised to evacuate the workers.

  • 16 workers rescued in initial hours

    Chamoli District Magistrate Gaurav Kumar had earlier said that 16 workers were rescued safely by around 9 pm on Thursday.

    "This is a tunnel under construction for a hydropower project belonging to THDC. Around 6:30 or 6:45 pm, a large volume of debris and water surged into the tunnel. Workers from the shift on duty got trapped inside," Kumar said.

    He added that NDRF and SDRF teams, along with available machinery, were working to rescue the remaining workers and expressed hope that everyone would be evacuated within a few hours.

  • Debris and water suddenly enter THDC tunnel, killing seven

    The accident took place at around 6.45 pm on Thursday when a large volume of debris and water suddenly entered the under-construction hydro tunnel at the THDC project in Mayapur (Pipalkoti), Chamoli.

    Workers present inside the tunnel during the shift were trapped following the sudden inflow. Seven workers have since died, while 14 others were injured and taken to nearby hospitals.

    Authorities are yet to ascertain the exact cause of the incident. Rescue operations remain underway as teams continue efforts to safely evacuate the three workers still trapped inside.

- Ends
Published By:
Prateek Chakraborty
Published On:
Aug 13, 2026 20:10 IST

Read more!
advertisement

Explore More